The Global Education Office and the Office of Environmental Sustainability partnered to create the Global Sustainability Fellowship, which aims to cultivate a broad appreciation of the environmental challenges and sustainability strategies adopted by communities around the world with varying resources, cultures, and relationships with the natural environment. Fellows research key environmental issues in their host communities during their time off campus and share their findings here on the Beyond the Bubble blog.
- ¡Hola! My name is Margot, and I am an Environmental Studies major in the class of 2021. I will be studying abroad in Quito and San Cristobal (Galapagos) this spring. I am from Denver, Colorado, and I cannot wait to immerse myself in a new culture where my studies will come to life. As a Global Sustainability Fellow, I plan to explore how Ecuadoreans understand their relationship to natural resources. I am interested in comparing attitudes toward the environment and …Continue Reading »
- Hi everyone! I'm Rebecca, an Environmental Studies major from Westchester County, NY. This semester, I am studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark, learning about Danish culture, urban planning, and Arctic geology. I am very excited to be able to experience a new culture and continue my environmental education beyond Amherst. As a Global Sustainability Fellow, I am going to be taking a closer look at the role of public transportation in Copenhagen, specifically how transportation infrastructure has been integrated into the city and the …Continue Reading »
- Bonjour! I’m Margaret, a French & Psychology major and member of the Bicentennial class. I will be spending the fall semester in Paris with Hamilton College in France and am excited to fully immerse myself in French culture & language. As a Global Sustainability Fellow, I will research strategies to combat plastic waste around the globe with a dual focus on plastic waste in France and the ocean.Continue Reading »
- Salut tout le monde, and welcome to my blog! I’m Alice, an international student from the beautiful North East of England, and I’ll be studying in Paris for a year, starting this fall. I’m a French and Russian major in Amherst’s class of 2021, and am focusing on Medieval French Literature and Russian Language this semester. In my spare time I love playing the flute, and I’m always planning my next radio show! As a Global Sustainability Fellow, I will …Continue Reading »
- Hi, kuzuzangpo-la, and welcome to my Bio! My name is Yuko Nakano and I’m in Paro, Bhutan, the Land of the Thunder Dragon and a country where the spirit governs the land. More on that in future posts. I’m a junior at Amherst College, and I am pursuing an environmental studies major and an international relations certificate through the five-colleges. Interdisciplinary is a concept I resonate with in and out of the classroom. In the grand valleys and mountains of …Continue Reading »
- Hi, I’m Olivia! I come from Bend, Oregon and I’m a Geology major in the class of 2020. This semester I’m studying in the archipelago of Svalbard, Norway at the northernmost university in the world (located at 78° N, which is about 650 miles from the North Pole). My courses here are focused on Arctic Geology, and in my free time I’m doing lots of skiing! As a Global Sustainability Fellow, I will be exploring the topic of modern food …Continue Reading »
- Mx. Bixie Eutsler is a writer, filmmaker, and all around creative type. They're currently studying gender and feminist theory in the picturesque University town of Göttingen, Germany but will be returning to Amherst in the fall of 2019 to complete their SWAGS and German majors. For their role as a Global Sustainability Fellow they hope to learn more about Germany's complex trash and recycling systems in the hope that similar concepts can be applied to Amherst.Continue Reading »